Sunday 9 November 2008

Thanksgiving & Powercuts

I became a traitor yesterday when as a team we celebrated Thanksgiving, I'm still not quite sure I understand exactly the history of the day but it was a good excuse to eat too much and enjoy a relaxed time together as a team. The team has been added to again with the arrival of Bernie from Ireland.

Just as we wound up the celebrations we had a complete blackout (again) taking folks home with no streetlights was quite an interesting experience!

Powercuts are quite a feature of the rainy season but it does make for a frustrating experience as the UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) that is supposed to keep our main server going doesn't and so even a short outage takes several minutes to recover from.

This week will be the third week with Ruth back in the UK - it certainly made my birthday this week different from any other I have celebrated and it is the longest time we have been apart in our 27 years of marriage.

I received an email on my birthday from a colleague from Tile Hill Wood - my old school in the UK she took over my tutor group. It was good to hear that they are still the great bunch of kids that they were and that they have been following this blog too - so Hi 8B!

The girls are getting impatient to go back to our flat - I've been quite encouraged at how they have managed without TV here. BUT they do pester to watch movies on the laptop!

No comments: